(2) Notre Dame (35-14) vs. (1) Georgia Southern (41-18)
When: June 4
Time: 8:06 p.m. ET
Where: JI Clements Stadium | Statesboro, Ga.
(Came in the weekend)
– Notre Dame is 47-20 (.701) from Frank Eck Stadium under head coach Link Jarrett. In 2022, the Irish are 10-8 in real road games and 8-3 in neutral site games.
– The Irish are 80-29 (.734) since the start of the 2020 season. That winning percentage ranks third in the NCAA over the past three seasons, behind Tennessee and UC Santa Barbara .
– Notre Dame is 12th in the NCAA and first in the ACC in attendance percentage with a mark of .980 this season. The Irish have committed 36 errors in 1,313 strikeout opportunities this season.
– The Irish rank 12th nationally and are second in the ACC in the team ERA with 3.91. They’ve allowed 190 earned runs in 437.2 innings this season.
– This is Notre Dame’s 24th NCAA playoff bid in program history. It’s the first time since 2005-06 that the Irish have won playoff bids in consecutive seasons.
– The Irish set a program record for strikeouts as they are at 529 heading into the Statesboro Regional. They surpassed the previous record of 504 from 2006 in the ACC Championship win over Florida State.
– Notre Dame beat Texas Tech 3-2 and Georgia Southern won 8-0 over UNC-Greensboro to start regional play.
|our Lady||RHP Temple of Austin||4-1||3.19||59.1||78|
|South Georgia||HPL Hayden Harris||1-0||6.28||28.2||36|
WHAT TO WATCH
–Georgia Southern beat 8-0 Saturday morning over UNC-Greensboro as Ty Fisher (6-2) won the complete shutout. Fisher allowed just four hits and one walk on 110 pitches.
–With Fisher making the full nine, Georgia Southern didn’t have to use their bullpen, so the Eagles will be fresh for the nightcap.
– Jesse Sherrill (2B), Jason Swan (1B), Noah Ledford (DH), Sam Blancato (CF) and JP Tighe (C) recorded two hits against UNCG.
– Notre Dame will have to find their attack at some point and Saturday would be a good time to start. The Irish have scored three or fewer points in three straight games and haven’t reached double-digit points since May 17 against Northwestern.
–Georgia Southern shared the season series with Georgia Tech and lost an extra inning game to Florida State. Tennessee’s No. 1 beat the Eagles 33-3 in the first three games of the season. The Eagles also shared the season series with Georgia. Georgia Southern is battle tested, so this probably won’t be a situation where they feel too intimidated playing a Power Five opponent.
Notre Dame programming
|Brooks Coetzee III||RF||.285|
|David La Manna||VS||.366|
|Spencer Myers||heart rate||.233|
South Georgia Programming
|Sam Blancato||heart rate||.306|
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Freedom Performance T Shirt