The Irish sports star accused of raping a woman at a Dublin hotel in December 2018 has been arrested and released without charge after being questioned.
The arrest comes after the woman, who was allegedly raped and severely beaten by her attacker at a hotel in south Dublin, made an official statement.
Previously, the woman had been “too terrified” to make a formal police complaint despite being escorted to the sexual assault treatment unit at Rotunda Hospital in Dublin by officers after the assault .
The sports star showed up to police at Dundrum Garda station on Thursday evening, after making an appointment. He was accompanied by his lawyer.
A garda spokeswoman told the Irish mirror:
“Kept [Irish police] in Dundrum investigating an alleged sexual assault reported on Monday, December 10, 2018, arrested a man on Thursday, January 17, 2019.
“The man was detained at Dundrum Garda station under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984. He has since been released without charge.
“A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. The investigation is ongoing. “
While the police are preparing a case for prosecutors, the athlete has reportedly not been charged.
Shortly after the alleged sexual assault took place in a penthouse room in a south Dublin hotel, police revealed the survivor was ‘too terrified’ to make a formal statement to police.
On Monday morning, December 10, 2018, the police were called to the woman’s home where she lodged a first complaint. She alleges that she met the famous Irish sports star in Dublin while socializing with friends. The woman and the sportsman, who knew each other, then proceeded to an upscale hotel in south Dublin where she said the sexual assault took place.
Police found her “bruised and beaten” at her home and removed the bloody clothes from the premises before the woman, mother of a 20-year-old, was taken to the treatment unit. sexual assault at Rotunda hospital for treatment, in an ambulance.
A senior law enforcement source told the Irish Independent newspaper at the time “The victim is too afraid to make a formal complaint right now, but that could change at a later date.”
A police source also told the Irish Mirror: “The detectives and crime scenes arrived at the hotel on Tuesday evening. Their aim was to assemble the CCTV and examine any potential scene in a room for any traces allowing ” identify the aggressor using DNA.
“The victim has not yet made a statement. She is in a state of deep distress and is struggling emotionally. No arrests have been made.”
At the time, a police source said that despite the woman being too scared to make a statement, police were continuing to investigate the alleged crime.
They said, “In the end, there is no doubt that this young lady went through a horrible ordeal – the exams and all the evidence shows that she was raped and very badly assaulted in this penthouse suite.
Read more: Unruly New Zealand tourists who went viral confirm they are not Irish